Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day Contest - We have a WINNER!!!

We want to thank all of you who sent us your special stories about your mothers. It was difficult to pick just one. I think we can all relate to this email sent in by Carolyn.


"Here is the life lesson that I want to share with you regarding Mother's Day.My earliest recollections of my mother are that of her being a very stylish happen' dresser. From the early 70's I have great pictures of her showing her legs in very groovy mini skirts and she always encouraged me to wear whatever I wanted.For this I am grateful cause it taught me to let go and let my little girl dress to express rather than to impress.My story of my Mom is this.. since I was very little my Mom has been on a perpetual diet. She has lost and gained the same 40 lbs for all of my 42 years.I don't think I was really aware of that until two years ago when my Mom came out to BC to celebrate my 40th birthday with me. A few nights before my party my mom and I sat around lookingat old pictures that we were putting up. Everyone of her.. she would look longingly at and say... look how thin I was there.... and sigh... on the verge of tears I realized that this was my legacy...how many times had I looked at a picture of myself and not felt good enough... and so that was that...from then on ....I decided that I was good enough just as I am...My then 6 year old daughter did not need to hear my self talk about not ever being good enough.. and she did not need me continually telling her how big I was in photos...and she did not needa role model that hated her own photo...Now I proudly stand for photos with my spouse and children and even my mother....who cares about the size of my thighs... what really matters is the size of my heart...Thanks Mom... for one of the most valuable lessons you ever taught me...Regards Carolyn"

No comments: